Get the Car – Skip the Car PaymentLet’s face it – having a car to get where you need to go is convenient. It means not having to wait for a bus, find a carpool, or wear a helmet on a bike.
But it is also expensive. There’s the cost of your car loan, insurance, maintenance, registration – the list seems to go on and on!
Imagine having the convenience of a car without the large monthly payments. Being able to jump in the car when you need it and only paying for the time that you use it. Not having to visit a mechanic. Not worrying about when you need to renew your registration. With Carsharing, this level of convenience and savings can be a reality.
So What Is It Exactly?Carsharing is like short-term car rental. You use specific Carsharing vehicles parked in specific places around your neighborhood for short periods of time. You pay only a small hourly fee for the time that you used the vehicle. This fee includes the cost of gas, insurance, maintenance, and other expenses.
Many Carsharing programs require that you purchase an annual membership. When you become a member, you create an online profile that allows you to reserve vehicles and set up your payment preferences through a web site.
Usually, you will receive an electronic card that is used to unlock the Carsharing vehicles. You can choose to receive a monthly invoice or to pay at the time that you reserve the vehicle.
When you need to use a vehicle, you would check the Carsharing web site for available cars. Reserve what you need for the time you need it, and then head to the parking location to jump in the car. When you’re done, simply return the car to the same parking spot, lock it up, and go!
Carsharing Makes Sense
- Carsharing means you can get where you need to go on your schedule. It will allow you to get to places that the bus or train simply can’t go.
- Owning a vehicle costs a lot of money! Americans spend an average of $9,600 on auto ownership every year. For most of us, our cars sit in parking spaces all day long. Through Carsharing, you only pay when you are actually using the vehicle. Carsharing members can save about $550 per month in place of auto ownership.
- By offering an alternative to personal car ownership, Carsharing programs also help the environment. Carsharing vehicles typically get great gas mileage, meaning less gas needed for each mile you need to go.
- Every Carsharing vehicle can replace about 20 vehicles! This means less cars on the road overall – which leads to less congestion and better air quality for all of us.
- Get the car that meets your needs. By offering a variety of vehicles, Carsharing allows you to use a pick-up truck when you need to pick up large items or a four-seater if a group of friends are heading to the game.
- Test drive the best! Carsharing vehicles are the latest models with the latest conveniences, from GPS to iPod docking stations.