Can you pick me up?
We connect commuters with other commuters to share rides to work. We do not provide any drivers nor do we provide rides to work.
Are you hiring drivers?
We do not provide transportation. We encourage commuters to ride public transportation, like SunRail, LYNX, Votran, Space Coast Area Transit, SunTran and LakeXpress. Please visit their websites for job openings for drivers.
Do you collect money for my carpool?
We do not collect money or oversee any financial transactions between commuters sharing a ride to work.
Do you charge for your services?
No, we do not charge for our commuter services and employer consulting services. reThink is a program sponsored by the Florida Department of Transportation. We are funded through the state’s Commuter Assistance Program grant.
Who are you working with?
We work with employers in nine counties in Central Florida. Some of our top employer partners include the City of Orlando, the Orlando VA Medical Center, and many others.
Tips for a Successful Carpool or Vanpool
- Make a schedule for departures and arrivals.
- Discuss flexibility – and whether your group will wait for latecomers.
- Split expenses fairly. This could mean sharing fuel expenses or calculating the per-mile cost.
- Keep in contact. Make sure to share cell phone numbers and email addresses.
- Have a backup plan. Our Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program can help if you have to stay late or get sick while at work.
Tips for Starting a Telecommuting Program
- Create a Telework Team consisting of people from different departments who are interested in or impacted by telecommuting. Proactively address potential challenges and set expectations for telecommuters. This is a great way to identify and address challenges that you may face, from the IT department to the Customer Service division.
- Identify potential telecommute-friendly positions. Not all types of jobs can be done from home.
- Set policies and goals for your telecommute program.
- Launch a pilot program. This will allow you to test your policies and adjust them as needed.
- Need more guidance? Contact us for our free e-book, “reThink Your Office: A Guide on Telecommute Programs for Employers.”
Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office in writing at Florida Department of Transportation, ATTN: reThink Your Commute, 719 S. Woodland Blvd, DeLand, FL 32720 or by phone at 866-610-RIDE (7433).